How To Register FSSAI Registration
Verification of your documents
Filing your application
Procurement of the licence
About FSSAI Registration
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India registration or FSSAI registration is mandatory in India under the Food and Standards Act, 2006. It was introduced to ensure maximum food hygiene and safety in India. Before commencing any food business, organizations are required to obtain a FSSAI reg or FSSAI license. Any food manufacturing, processing, packaging or distributor company can obtain the FSSAI license/registration online through StartupSeven.
The FSSAI food license number or registration number is a 14 digit number which has to be printed on all the product packages. This registration is also compulsory for petty food operators which are defined as the ones with an annual turnover of less than Rs 12 lakh and production capacity of less than 100 kg. If any entity operates without a food license, it will be liable to pay fines up to Rs 10 lakhs.
Both license and registration are different based on the nature and size of the business. Depending on these factors, the entity may have to apply for a central license, state license, or registration.
Every Food Business Operator is required to be licensed/registered under the FSSAI. FSSAI Registration is required by small businesses like hawkers, petty retailers, etc whose annual turnover is less than Rs.12 lakhs per year. All food businesses exceeding this annual turnover limit of Rs 12 lakhs per year require a FSSAI License.
FSSAI State License and FSSAI Central License are issued to food businesses based on their size whether it is a medium scale or large-scale. Usually, large manufacturers, exporters, importers, etc obtain Central Licence while mid-sized entities like transporters, traders, etc need State Licence.
If your business falls in any one of the below-listed categories, then a food license is mandatory for you.
To be more elaborate, any individual or a company that operates with food substances from farm to plate must obtain the FSSAI food license. A more detailed list of those who require FSSAI registration Certificate is here:
- Food chains
- Food sellers and resellers
- Dairy and dairy processing
- Food importers and exporters
- Processors like pickle and dry fruit maker
- Raw material suppliers to food businesses
- Retailers & establishments who have a retail outlet
- Simple transporters who transfer items from one location to another
- Canteens in corporations, schools, colleges, hospitals or government institutions
- Packaged food manufacturers who produce items such as biscuits and ready to eat products
Storage units and warehouses require a food safety registration instead of a production license.
A 14-digit food license will contain a State Code and registration.
Every food package must have a label. This label should mandatorily contain:
- The logo of FSSAI
- License number
FSSAI license rules are hard and fast. FSSAI licenses issued to food businesses are valid for a period of 1 to 5 years. It is mandatory to apply for license renewal 30 days before the expiry of the existing license. Non-renewal of licenses can fetch a fine of Rs.100 per day until the renewal is done . Any lapse in renewal within the stipulated date can result in the old license becoming defunct and businesses will have to apply for a fresh license.
FSSAI license and registration help businesses in the following ways:
- Consumers are becoming more aware of the quality of the food which they eat, thanks to the digital era. Having a valid FSSAI license helps businesses in enhancing their credibility.
- The FSSAI logo is widely recognized and hence it can ensure goodwill among consumers.
- Streamlines all the processes involved from manufacturing to distribution and sale of the food products.
- Makes food manufacturing more dependable on science-based principles.
- The important aspects of hygiene and cleanliness are regulated and followed when FSSAI registration is involved.
- FSSAI license or registration provides a platform to produce quality food products that are on par with international food standards.
- FSSAI license positively influences the dependability and production of the company, thus giving it a huge chance to expand and grow.
- FSSAI license is important for exporting food products to other countries.
- FSSAI is also responsible for setting guidelines and procedures for quality assurance of the accredited labs as per ISO17025.
- Any Food Business Operator with an annual turnover Upto Rs. 12 Lakhs
- Small retailer dealing in food products
- Any person who manufactures or sells any food article by himself
- Food sale is on temporary stall
- Any individual provides food in any religious or social gathering except a caterer
- Photo Identity
- Rent Agreement
- Entity Proof i.e. Partnership Deed / COI
- List of food products
- Step 1: Arrange and provide basic documents as per the list provided by us.
- Step 2: Make the payment of registration fees.
- Step 3: An application is to be filed online.
- Step 4: Get the FSSAI Registration certificate
How Can We Help In Registering
- FSSAI Registration at the least time frame
- Comprehensive help with FSSAI online application filling
- Guidance on selecting the right food license type
- Hand-holding through the entire registration procedure
- Solution to all your questions and concerns
Frequently Asked Questions
What are different classifications for the FSSAI license?
The FSSAI license has three categories depending on the annual turnover of the firm. They are:
- FSSAI Central License- The annual turnover should exceed Rs. 20 Crores.
- FSSAI State License- The annual turnover should be Rs. 12 lakhs to Rs. 20 Crores.
- FSSAI Registration- The annual turnover should be up to Rs. 12 lakhs.
How long does it take to avail the FSSAI license?
There are three main types of FSSAI registration or licenses and the time duration varies for all of them. The basic registration will take about 7 working days for granting the registration. The State and Central FSSAI license will be availed in about 30 days.
Is it necessary to have different licenses for different states?
Yes. You need to have a Central FSSAI license for the main office or headquarters. The other branches of the business need to have their own state FSSAI licenses.
What is the validity of the FSSAI license?
The validity of the FSSAI license can vary from a year to up to five years. You may have to apply for renewal depending on the validity of your license.
Do I have to obtain a FSSAI license online if I intend to only export from India?
Yes, FSSAI license is required for export food products from India. It shows that your product is safe and as per the quality norms of the country. However, you need not obtain a ‘no objection’ or any other certificate from the authorities for export.
Visit Us On
501,Rishabh corporate Tower
Kakardooma Community Centre,